"Ask me for strength and I will lend not only my hand, but also my heart."
~ Unknown

Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Doula Philosophy - Kaitlin

I believe in every woman's ability to birth in the way she wants! Every woman should be allowed to birth however and wherever she pleases and no one should tell her differently.  I strongly believe that as a doula, I am there to support my client without judgment or telling her what to do or what is right from wrong.  I will gladly share any information, techniques and advice but at the end of the day it is not my birth but hers.  I believe every women knows her body best and what she is able to handle and what she is not able to handle.  I am there to provide her as much support and techniques to relieve pain but it is ultimately her choice in how she wants to birth whether that be in a pool, in bed, at home, with or without pain medication and otherwise.  The other thing I think is important to keep in mind is that there is a tremendous mind-body connection.  While labor is definitely very physical, where you are in your mind can have a huge effect on how your labor progresses.  A large part of a doula's job is to help a woman feel safe and comfortable.  It does not mean that there will not be any pain.  But if the energy in the room is good, the woman feels that her wishes are being respected and that she is coping well with the contractions, it makes her feel more relaxed and helps her progress in her labor.  I feel that every women should be allowed to have the birth she wants!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to know what you think! Comments are subject to review prior to publishing.