"Ask me for strength and I will lend not only my hand, but also my heart."
~ Unknown

Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Hypnobirthing Story (Guest Blogger - Niki Gray)

We're please to welcome our second guest blogger, Niki Gray.  Niki and her husband just recently moved here with there almost 1 year old little girl! She runs a day home, is a Stella and Dot Stylist, and loves creating diaper cakes on the side. Before becoming a Mom, she worked professionally with children on the Autism Spectrum in Calgary and then for the Heartland Health Region in Saskatchewan!
Hey Fellow Mamas, Mamas-to-be and From Womb to Cradle Followers!
I was asked to share my labour experience with some fellow Moms, so here it goes…
Finding Hypnobirthing...
I never considered or even really heard of natural birthing until I was delighted with news of becoming preggers!  About 4 months into our pregnancy I was doing some researching on natural birth. My main reason at the time was because I had experienced anxiety during high stress times in the past and I was afraid drugs would enhance any anxiety I would feel in the delivery room. The more I looked into it, the more I learned the facts on the affects both drugs and stress have on both our babies and our bodies during labour and delivery. I also became intrigued when I stumbled across a book titled HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie Mongan, and I instantly made my order! At the time I lived in a small Saskatchewan town where a Hypnobirthing coach or classes were unheard of, so I read and studied the book learning to relax and meditate on my own with the DVD/CD that was included with the book. At the time my hubby was not really onboard (something about "hypno-mumbo jumbo"), so I didn’t practice with any sort of "coach." As the weeks neared forty, I was letting go of fears and was more excited than ever to meet our daughter!
The Delivery Room…
I let the baby lead the way as I encouraged her with slow and birth breathing, relaxation and visualization of her safe and easy arrival! I laid with my eyes closed while I quietly breathed through each contraction and once the nurses decided to let me push (they were waiting for the doctor on-call) my daughter was out in 40 minutes! I truly believe the reading that I did and learning to let go of all the fears and anxieties that I had associated with the birth of our daughter, we were all able to experience a beautiful and natural delivery, with zero stitches to follow! So it really is possible to have a fast, pain and drug free delivery. It really is all "mind over matter!"
For more information on Hypnobirthing please check out www.hypnobirthing.com
If interested in getting a Diaper Cake created personally for an expectant Mama please contact me at nikimgray@gmail.com or check out my website with Stella and Dot to see some great jewellery! 
~ Niki Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to know what you think! Comments are subject to review prior to publishing.